September Safety Spotlight – from Ms. Turner’s Weekly Bulletin
As we kick off another school year, it is important to take the opportunity to review important safety procedures for morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up. We want every student and parent to be safe whether walking, biking, driving, or riding a school bus to and from school. Below are some important safety behaviors we ask every student and parent to demonstrate:
- Cross streets at crosswalks only.
- Look both ways before crossing the street (stop and look left, then right, then left again).
- Always walk, never run, when crossing a street.
- Always walk on the sidewalk.
Research tells us that parents overestimate the ability of young children to safely cross streets. Parents, please do not ask your child to jaywalk to reach your car or to hurry to school. Setting a good example is the first step to teaching your children important street safety skills.
Car Drop Off & Pick Up Procedures:
- Do not leave cars unattended in the drop off/pick up zones on 6th and 7th Avenue West.
- Pull cars completely forward in the zone to keep traffic flowing.
- Students should always exit the vehicle curbside.
- Be swift (but always safe) when dropping off or picking up.
- Do not drop off your child on the opposite side of the zone and have him/her run across the street.
There are two vehicle drop-off/pick-up zones at Coe: One is heading north on 7th Avenue West and the other is heading south on 6th Avenue West.
Drop-off/pick-up zones are not parking spots. Please follow the signage, “Load/Unload Only – 1 minute – Pull Forward”. These areas become congested when drivers do not keep traffic flowing smoothly. Please don’t linger in these zones.
If you need to park, please find a legal parking spot in the surrounding neighborhood. And as always, please watch out for students and be mindful of the safety patrol crossing guards (Coe students wearing safety patrol gear).
Thank you for your help and support in making drop-off and pick-up safe for our students.